[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 09:40:31 UTC 2020
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> I think what a lot of people are concerned about is the rolling-release
> > aspect of this. There will be no definitive versioning of CentOS in the
> > future - all you will be able to say is "fully updated" and it won't be
> > possible to slot a CentOS system in to exactly match a RHEL version.
> > Will third party RPMs built against RHEL 8.x be installable on a CentOS
> > 8 Stream system? The answer is surely "it depends", but there are a lot
> > of hardware vendors that target drivers to RHEL releases, which may
> > well make CentOS non-viable for hardware that doesn't have drivers
> > built in to the kernel.
> >

> Generally if they follow the ABI guidelines I would expect it to work.
> Those are here: https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel8-abi-compatibility
>
> For loadable kernel modules there's a kernel ABI.

Yes, and many things work well. My most recent issue was that kit
supplied by HPE (sorry, it's pain is stuck in my mind) had a RAID
controller that needs a driver disk during install - doing the install
time drivers is not a problem, the problem is that they don't support
CentOS, hence I had to use a RHEL driver and out of the 5 available for
RHEL7/8, only one of them worked with a CentOS release. HPE support
don't want to know because they don't support CentOS.

I know this comes under the heading of "Corporate RedHat Policy", but
is RedHat going to do the right thing by CentOS 8 Stream to the level
of lobbying other behemoth corporations such as HPE or Dell to support
it?

P.