[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Wed Dec 9 13:19:36 UTC 2020
Nikolaos Milas <nmilas at noa.gr>

On 8/12/2020 6:58 μ.μ., Satish Patel wrote:

> What is going on here https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/
>
> CentOS 8's future is not looking bright. Recently deployed CentOS8 on
> my production workload and now hearing this. What do other folks think
> about this?

I will totally agree with the following comments on the above blog article:

"Matt Phelps says (December 8, 2020 at 4:12 pm):
This is a breach of trust from the already published timeline of CentOS
8 where the EOL was May 2029.
One year's notice for such a massive change is unacceptable.
Move this approach to CentOS 9."

and:

"fahrradflucht says (December 8, 2020 at 5:37 pm):
This! People already started deploying CentOS 8 with the expectation of
10 years of updates.
- Even a migration to RHEL 8 would imply completely reprovisioning the
systems which is a big ask for systems deployed in the field."

You people at IBM/RedHat are betraying and crucifying your own users and
community, right after we have started numerous CentOS 8 systems in
production, after months or even years of planning, investing in
know-how and testing.

This is really irritating.

If you do not recall this policy, not only you will cause huge problems
to thousands of administrators out there; you will suffer their wrath.

Unless you recall this policy and provide CentOS 8 as promised until the
end of its life-cycle, you are proving imposters by luring thousands to
using a product which you planned to effectively abolish.

I still hope that you will not disappoint CentOS admins and users so
badly and that you will continue to support CentOS 8 (and CentOS 7) in
its current/expected form.

Nick