[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 18:45:04 UTC 2020
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 09:24:33AM +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
> What will be the incentive for vendors to participate? Sure you can
> talk the corporate talk about opportunities and ecosystems, but the
> bottom line is that it requires investment (at least in time) when they
> could just continue supporting RHEL point releases, or possibly every
> other point release.

Oh, this one is easy. Because *this is how Red Hat is telling vendors to
support RHEL point releases from now on*. I know it's easy to get lost in
everything else, but this is a huge pivot in RHEL development focusing more
directly on CentOS.

(Although as I understand it there will also be cases where code supporting
new hardware is embargoed until a release date, which complicates things in
some cases. That doesn't change the overall new picture though.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>