[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 20:55:33 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/9/20 1:01 PM, Christopher Wensink wrote:
> Understanding the flow of packages, is it a fair comparison to say that
> moving forward:
> Fedora packages could be considered alpha/beta releases of apps
> Centos/Stream could be considered beta / Pre-release / Release
> candidates of packages / partially stable
> RHEL official releases would be considered final release / stable
>
> Where as before (done 12/2021)
> Fedora Packages would be beta / pre-release
> then RHEL and CentOS were final release / stable  - one with commercial
> support and the other with community only support.
>
> Is that accurate?

I doubt very seriously that changes made for point releases are ever
considered beta quality ..

Do the packages added betweren RHEL 7.8 to 7.9 or from RHEL 8.2 to RHEL
8.3 differ so much?  Not really.  Look at the differences in the
packages.  For the most part .. except for some desktop rebases and the
kernels .. the  ABI/API stay the same.

There are some rebases of some packages, but not very many.

I keep trying to say .. no one is rolling in packages here straight from
a new Fedora version or from Rawhide.  These changes are point release
type changes.  That is the type of changes you see from 8.2 to 8.3 or
7.8 to 7.9 ... not major changes.