[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Thu Dec 10 08:53:42 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 10/12/2020 03:55, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:07 PM Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 12/9/20 12:10 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>>> While I'm not sure how we'll get there, it seems like the
>>> mutually satisfying end result would be one where third party binary
>>> drivers work with CentOS Stream kernels.  Let's see what we can do.
>>>
>> So, I want to address this part a bit.  In MANY cases, it's not a
>> third-party driver that ELrepo packages; it's an in-kernel driver that
>> Red Hat has decided to disable.  Such as the megaraid_sas driver I need
>> for my servers.
>>

> Ah yes, that's a great call-out.  I'm not sure what the plan is there (or
> if there is one), but to me it seems like the sort of thing a SIG would
> build.

Well, yes, about 10 years too late for those discussions I'm afraid ;-)

And besides, why on earth would Red Hat remove support for older
hardware that you (understandably) no longer want to commit resources to
maintaining, only to turn round and commit resources to maintaining them
in a SIG? That's why you guys reached out to us (elrepo) in the first place.