[CentOS] question centos stream 8 applying updates

Fri Dec 11 18:28:07 UTC 2020
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 10:19:56AM -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 12/10/20 2:53 PM, edward via CentOS wrote:
> >after reading some info on centos stream is a  rolling release.
> >i'm wondering applying
>
> It's not a "rolling release" in the most commonly used sense. There
> just isn't a minor number for releases.  CentOS Stream 8 will always
> be CentOS Stream 8, and never 8.1 or 8.2, etc.  Just one ten-year
> long release.  At any given point in time, a fully updated system
> should be backward-compatible with any applications that have run
> earlier in the release cycle.

Yeah, the words "rolling release" ended up in the announcement without
anyone really catching that it's going to have strong implications of
something that _wasn't_ meant. It's hard to make an announcement like this
without having some phrasing that ends up causing confusion of some sort.
This one is definitely costing us in extra confusion, but please believe
that there's no hidden messaging here. We're just all trying to figure out
how to best communicate the concepts. I hope the blog posts from Stef and
Brendan on the CentOS blog today help clear things up!

 https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/centos-stream-is-continuous-delivery/

 https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/how-rhel-is-made/

--
Matthew Miller