[CentOS] question centos stream 8 applying updates

Fri Dec 11 22:53:21 UTC 2020
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 22:05 +0100, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 2020-12-11 19:26 Walter H. ha scritto:
> > with CentOS Stream there are only updates till 2024(!) not 2029 as it
> > be expected ...
>
> Is that officially confirmed? If RHEL 8 is expected to have an 8.10
> release sometime in the 2028-2029 timeframe, and if any updates should
> really hit Stream-8 before, the latter should have the same EOL date.

Somewhere in amongst the vast number of posts, someone said that the
release cadence for point releases was 6 months with the final release
being 8.10 in 2024. After that RHEL 8 goes into maintenance mode and
there will be no more content added to 8-stream (because it had reached
the end of it's useful life as a pre point release distro).

I think it's still not clear what exactly will be the fate of 8-stream
after 2024. The implication is that 9-stream will be active by then and
8-stream will just disappear. In some ways it would be nice if it was
frozen but kept, but it won't receive any bug/security fixes, so it may
be deemed too "dangerous" to allow people access to it. I suppose it's
natural home would be vault.centos.org, but we will have to see what RH
think of that.

P.