[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Sun Dec 13 20:05:42 UTC 2020
Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>

> Am 13.12.2020 um 20:44 schrieb Simon Avery <digdilem at gmail.com>:
>

>>> And there's *a lot* more than five of us.
>>
>> Here is number six.
>>

> Just one of those groups energised from this decision is Rocky Linux. There
> are 4,606 people on their Slack right now, which did not even exist a week
> ago.

IIRC, one of the reasons cited that CentOS „merged“ with RedHat back then was that a lot of people were using CentOS, but there wasn’t enough money generated to pay the developers.

A lot of them were basically working for free.

That is never sustainable. At least not for a long time.

It’s also not often the case that you can split this kind of work into a thousand work-packages and have everybody just work 1/2 hour a day on it.