[CentOS] Blog article: CentOS is NOT dead

Mon Dec 14 13:31:17 UTC 2020
Gionatan Danti <g.danti at assyoma.it>

Il 2020-12-14 13:07 Nicolas Kovacs ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an interesting read which makes a point for CentOS Stream:
>
> https://freedomben.medium.com/centos-is-not-dead-please-stop-saying-it-is-at-least-until-you-read-this-4b26b5c44877
>
> tl;dr: Communication about Stream was BAD, but Stream itself might be a
> good
> thing. Here's why.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

While interesting, I think the blog post fails to identify the the main
issue with Stream:
- Stream can be updated many times each days. You basically have a
non-stop incoming flow of updates;
- as far I know, Stream does not have (and will not have)
"synchronization points" with mail RHEL;
- the support window is much shorter (ie: 2024 vs 2029).

Anyone relying on RHEL/CentOS to be kABI compatible can be severely
impacted by the first two points (it's difficult planning updates with
rolling releases, when the kernel version can change from a day to
another), while the third one (shorter support window) affect anyone.

Basically it seems to me that Stream will be to RHEL the same Rawhide is
to normal Fedora releases. While this has the potential to be a good
move, it should be offered *in addition* to normal CentOS releases -
which effectively are a different product.

That said I am grateful to all the volunteers that made CentOS possible,
and I don't want the above to be taken as a rant - they only are my
(possibly wrong) opinions.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan