[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Tue Dec 15 09:09:59 UTC 2020
Thomas Bendler <ml at bendler-net.de>

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 9:18 AM Patrick Bégou <
Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr> wrote:

> I'm also using CentOS for a while and I'm deploying a CentOS8 cluster
> for some months.... because it was supported until 2029! Bad idea.
> For me, using debian has 2 important drawbacks
> - some of proprietary software we are using is certified RHEL and SLES.
> Deploying on CentOS is out-of-thebox. Deploying on debian (we have also
> debian servers) is often a nightmare and some functionalities still
> doesn't work (and support reply "debian is not supported"). We have no
> alternative for these softwares.
> [...]

If you have to deal with proprietary software, OEL is currently the only
cost-free
option you have (if an RHEL clone is wanted). The advantage with OEL is that
most proprietary software supports OEL out-of-the-box, you don't have to do
"naming" tricks to run software like SAP.

Switching to OEL is quite easy (https://github.com/oracle/centos2ol) and the
same method could be used to switch to something else if better options are
available.

Kind regards Thomas