[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Tue Dec 15 17:06:26 UTC 2020
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 01:48:21AM -0700, R C wrote:
> I think that Centos, being that close to RHEL, should have had a
> licensing scheme for personal use, small business use, just to make
> things 'fair'.

So, again, please stay tuned. Not for licensing schemes for CentOS, but for
programs for these use cases for RHEL. See https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q10
and please really do mail centos-questions at redhat.com with your use cases.
This is answered by humans designing these programs, not by sales.

> I don't think their (IBM/RHEL) course is going to change though,
> redhat going "commercial" has been going on for a decade and a half
> or so, and it looks like initial investors have a desire
> cashing/selling out at this point.

I don't think there will be a course change either, but for different
reasons. The motivation isn't "cashing/selling out". It's... actually the
stated motivation
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q2

--
Matthew Miller