[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Tue Dec 15 17:44:56 UTC 2020
Peter Huebner <huebner_p at mail.de>

Am Dienstag, den 15.12.2020, 12:06 -0500 schrieb Matthew Miller:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 01:48:21AM -0700, R C wrote:
> > I think that Centos, being that close to RHEL, should have had a
> > licensing scheme for personal use, small business use, just to make
> > things 'fair'.
>
> So, again, please stay tuned. Not for licensing schemes for CentOS,
> but for
> programs for these use cases for RHEL. See
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q10
> and please really do mail centos-questions at redhat.com with your use
> cases.
> This is answered by humans designing these programs, not by sales.

But with the move of CentOS/RedHat to restrict the previously promised
support time for CentOS 8, they loose alot of trust in future
statements.
Trust must be earned and RedHat/CentOS/IBM has carelessly wasted that
trust.

> > I don't think their (IBM/RHEL) course is going to change though,
> > redhat going "commercial" has been going on for a decade and a half
> > or so, and it looks like initial investors have a desire
> > cashing/selling out at this point.
>
> I don't think there will be a course change either, but for different
> reasons. The motivation isn't "cashing/selling out". It's... actually
> the
> stated motivation
> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q2

We will see, what happens in the future, but currently i cannot
recommend without serious doubt to trust RedHat in the long run.

--
Peter Huebner