[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Wed Dec 16 02:13:36 UTC 2020
Bernstein, Noam CIV USN NRL (6393) Washington DC (USA) <noam.bernstein at nrl.navy.mil>

On Dec 15, 2020, at 7:41 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org<mailto:johnny at centos.org>> wrote:

$250K is not even close.  That is one employee, when you also take into
account unemployment insurance, HR, medical insurance etc.  now multiply
that by 8.  Now, outfit those 8 employees to work from home .. all over
the world, different countries, different laws.

Every package that ends up in a RHEL point release is in Stream at some point, right?  While I can certainly believe that the cost for the entire CentOS effort is much more than $250K, dropping CentOS point releases just means not gathering the particular versions that ended up in the corresponding RHEL point release.

Even for someone outside of CentOS, it sounds as simple as constantly downloading everything that's released in Stream (since apparently old rpm revisions won't stay in the CentOS repo), then looking at which versions made it into the RHEL point release, and copying just those to a repo for update.   Am I missing some complex step?