[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Wed Dec 16 15:11:15 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 12/15/20 1:24 PM, R C wrote:
> What I meant was that MS basically, for the longest while, had their
> OS pre-installed on computers sold, so it "felt" free to the buyer, it
> came with the machine. Universities and colleges did receive bulk
> licenses and .NET pretty much for free in their 'Developer Programs'
> and also have students keep using it. That "faillure to implement"
> obviously was a marketing move indeed, as was students "allowing" to
> keep using it on their laptops after graduation.
This is way off-topic, but there are two aspects of home users using
unlicensed copies of Windows:
1.) Users who bought a machine with Windows Home Edition on it who
wanted either Professional or Ultimate;
2.) The enthusiasts who were building their own machines from parts.
That group is small, but they also tend to be very vocal; IT
professionals often fall into this group, and MS wanted to keep them
happy for all the reasons previously posted.

But the Red Hat-based ecosystem version of that second group is
on-topic, as the same sort of enthusiast exists here and has been very
vocal about this change.