[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Wed Dec 16 18:10:55 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 12/16/20 11:24 AM, R C wrote:

> On 12/16/20 8:11 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> But the Red Hat-based ecosystem version of that second group is
>> on-topic, as the same sort of enthusiast exists here and has been
>> very vocal about this change.
> Well yes it is, but it started with a remark about licensing. I don't
> use Windows much, not even a handful of times in the last decade.
> Thing is that MS has something called their "Developers Network"
> (named something along those lines). If you're in higher education,
> R&D etc you can be in that network, in sortof an R&D category, for
> 'free'. ...

I have a whole shelf full of MSDN CDs and binders; it wasn't free, but
it wasn't terribly expensive either.  In some cases the activations/keys
for the software expire after a few months. Still have the last Windows
2000 Beta CD for the DEC Alpha architecture here in that set.  Something
similar for RHEL beyond the single-entitlement developer subscription
would be cool.

> For example, I was messing with kubernetes in a few ways.  redhat
> provides a license for RHEL, that you can use for that purpose for
> free, BUT you can have only have one license.
Yes, which makes it a bit difficult to mess around with kubernetes. That
particular case would be covered resonably well by CentOS Stream,
though, since the major part of kubernetes' behavior isn't going to
change radically within a point release cycle.