[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Wed Dec 16 22:09:11 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/16/20 12:28 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 12/16/20 10:50 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Why did they change the development process of RHEL .. Because they
>> want to do the development in the community. The current process of
>> RHEL development is closed .. they want it to be open. It is that simple.
> Johnny, let me say first of all thanks for these years of hard work.  I
> for one am grateful for your continued and dogged pursuit of what must
> be a mostly thankless task.  Thanks for the explanations from your point
> of view of this transition, too.
>
> Having said that, I believe that in terms of RHEL development and
> transparency that CentOS Stream will be a very big win.  With working
> resolutions to the 'unsupported by Red Hat but not third-party
> out-of-tree driver kABI breaks frequently' and 'third-party out-of-tree
> hardware driver kABI breaks frequently' issues I'm sure it can be a very
> usable system for what I need CentOS for.  And it will be very nice to
> be able to have actual feedback that might actually make a difference in
> the development of each next point release.  That will work nicely for
> my main daily driver laptop.  Maybe or maybe not for my servers; that
> has yet to be seen.
>
> But as I posted in my reply to Mike McGrath, Red Hat's reneging on the
> September 24, 2019 statement that "nothing changes" for CentOS,
> especially CentOS 8, still smarts.  A lot.  (I know it must be worse for
> you and the other devs.)

Hi Lamar, glad to interact w/ you on the list.  We both have been doing
this for a long time.

I was not thrilled about this decision and it would not have been the
one made if things were up to me alone.  Obviously they are not. I did
support the issue from the perspective of the CentOS Board.  Sometimes
we have to make hard decisions in life. Many times, one wishes for
another option.  I do think I chose the best option available.

It is very depressing to me that something I love (CentOS Linux) is
going away and being replaced.  I would wish for a different way. But I
know that this decision is final.

As always. I will do my absolute best to make any CentOS Project
offering the best it can possibly be.  I therefore will give my absolute
all to CentOS Stream and do what I can to make it work for as many
people as possible.

Also, Red Hat is working on lower cost (and sometimes even free)
scenarios for current CentOS users for thigns they may not have though
of.  People can contact (via email) centos-questions at redhat.com

This is not a list for sales leads .. it is a list to help CentOS users.
 Anyone can use it to see if they qualify for one of the upcoming ways
to RHEL.  I don't personally know anything about that list.  Other than
it is one of the things the CentOS Board negotiated for before our vote.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes