[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Fri Dec 18 21:04:45 UTC 2020
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

On 12/18/20 9:20 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
> Suppose it is June of 2022 and I have been collecting and archiving
> all of the various versions of packages that are coming out for CentOS
> Stream.  Then, maybe RHEL 8.7 is finalized and hits the mirrors.  I
> can analyze the versions of packages that landed in RHEL 8.7.  Then I
> can grab those versions from my archive and tag them "8.7".  I could
> configure my repositories appropriately and build some ISO images.  Of
> course, I couldn't call that "CentOS 8.7" because RedHat has
> prohibited that.  But still I could release ISO's of "Enterprise
> Respin 8.7".  That is the easy problem to overcome.

Every package in CentOS stream will be signed with CentOS keys, and
CentOS is now trademark of Red Hat. Are you sure it would be legal to
publish/distribute CentOS-signed packages under any other name?

CentOS and other clones were legaly "safe" because they distributed
their own binaries, but could bot use any RHEL's binaries...

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)