[CentOS] keepass for CentOS Linux OS

Thu Dec 24 12:18:45 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 24/12/2020 00:09, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2020 at 12:23 AM Richard <lists-centos at listmail.innovate.net>
> wrote:
>

>>> Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 23:24:49 +0530
>>> From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> Are there any repos to download keepass password manager for CentOS
>>> Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)? I am getting Service Unavailable
>>> when I hit https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/keepass as per
>>> https://keepass.info/download.html
>>>

>> You can get this for CentOS-7 from the EPEL repo.
>>

> Thanks Richard for the response. I have installed it on CentOS Linux
> release 7.9.2009 (Core) server. Is there a GUI for it to access it from a
> network similar to bitwarden (https://bitwarden.com/)? For example
> http://keepass.example.com. I am going through
> https://keepass.info/download.html
>
> rpm -qil keepassx2-2.0.3-2.el7.x86_64
> Name        : keepassx2
> Version     : 2.0.3
> Release     : 2.el7
> Architecture: x86_64
> Install Date: Thu 24 Dec 2020 05:26:30 AM IST
> Group       : User Interface/Desktops
> Size        : 1892119
> License     : GPLv2+
> Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Wed 30 Nov 2016 04:33:42 AM IST, Key ID
> 6a2faea2352c64e5
> Source RPM  : keepassx2-2.0.3-2.el7.src.rpm
> Build Date  : Wed 30 Nov 2016 03:25:42 AM IST
> Build Host  : buildhw-09.phx2.fedoraproject.org
> Relocations : (not relocatable)
> Packager    : Fedora Project
> Vendor      : Fedora Project
> URL         : http://www.keepassx.org/
> Summary     : Cross-platform password manager
> Description :
> KeePassX is an application for people with extremly high demands on secure
> personal data management.
> KeePassX saves many different information e.g. user names, passwords, urls,
> attachemts and comments in one single database. For a better management
> user-defined titles and icons can be specified for each single entry.
> Furthermore the entries are sorted in groups, which are customizable as
> well.
> The integrated search function allows to search in a single group or the
> complete database.
> KeePassX offers a little utility for secure password generation. The
> password
> generator is very customizable, fast and easy to use. Especially someone who
> generates passwords frequently will appreciate this feature.
> The complete database is always encrypted either with AES (alias Rijndael)
> or
> Twofish encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. Therefore the saved
> information can be considered as quite safe. KeePassX uses a database format
> that is compatible with KeePass Password Safe for MS Windows.
> /usr/bin/keepassx2
> /usr/lib64/keepassx2/libkeepassx-autotype-x11.so
> /usr/share/applications/keepassx2.desktop
> /usr/share/doc/keepassx2-2.0.3
> /usr/share/doc/keepassx2-2.0.3/CHANGELOG
> [...]

I prefer the community fork, KeePassXC, which is more actively
maintained with new/updated features regularly added.

There is no recent RPM package AFAIK but it's really easy to install the
very latest Snap package from here and comes with all the latest
encryption (AES 256bit) and key derivation functions (Argon2):

https://keepassxc.org/download/

It's the first time I'd installed a snap and was pleasantly surprised
how easy it was plus updates are automatic. For extra security I then
don't use it to store the full password, but separately add a salt
creating a double-blind password for more sensitive uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boj9q26gadE