[CentOS] Out of office: "CentOS Digest, Vol 191, Issue 26"

Sat Dec 26 18:25:50 UTC 2020

On 12/26/2020 11:39 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 12:21, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 26/12/2020 à 18:14, Scott Robbins a écrit :
>>> I'm sure all of us have done, if not this, something equally embarrassing
>>> like posting a private reply to an email or doing dd with the wrong
>>> destination, etc.
>> Then let's make a little contest out of it: what's the most stupid thing
>> you've
>> done as a system administrator ?
>>
>> I'm a ten-finger-typer, and I rarely look at the keyboard. Which is a bad
>> thing
>> when your focus is on the wrong terminal. So a few years ago I happened to
>> type
>> "ssh root at some-remote-server.com <ENTER> <ROOTPASSWORD> <ENTER>", vaguely
>> sensed in the corner of my eye that something was wrong and discovered to
>> my
>> horror that I just posted it on a densely populated IRC channel.
>>
>> Your turn. :o)
>>

> 2 am clean up of disk space to get email servers working again
> discover a large tree of temp files from a shared service in /usr/<account
> name> # remember before /home?
> /bin/rm -rf . /*

I did the same just to prove for myself I am right. Used fresh test
installation for that though:

rm -rf /

-  was testing it, as I missed the moment when the following stopped
being true:

"the above command will start removing directory tree /
_alphabetically_, hence when it removes /dev/[root file system device]
further remove operations will fail. Hence on physical root device only
stuff alphabetically before /dev will actually be removed."

Of course I was gravely wrong, thing did change (as one of experts on
mail list pointed out for me). And the above command did obliterate
everything.

Embarrassing part was: I had first said that loud on mail list, and only
after I had been told I'm wrong, I actually tested it, and confirmed to
my self I was wrong.

Another embarrassing thing was done by my younger colleague. He was
helping someone he talked to on the phone to change that user's
password. And as many younger (than I) people he always was typing
lightning fast. And instead of typing

passwd [username]

he typed

passwd

[username]

Without noticing anything wrong he changed root password on the machine
to, guess what?, "password" (without quotes). He ultimately did help
user to change his password. And few days later bad guys just walked
into machine as user root. I hope, he doesn't read this my post.

So mine was not the case one can state funny way: I thought I was wrong
but I was mistaken ;-)

Valeri