[CentOS] Disk choice for workstation ?

Sat Dec 26 23:52:48 UTC 2020

On 12/26/2020 5:10 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 26/12/2020 à 21:58, Mark Woolfson a écrit :
>> Don't go for super cheap SSD's as the write threshold will be low. I would
>> look at Samsung for SSD's for performance or Kioxia (Toshiba) SSD's for
>> price. As regards the carrier I would look at Sonnet or Highpoint. Bear in
>> mind that the commercial sweet spot for SSD's is 1 or 2 TByte.
> Thanks everybody for your feedback.
>
> Is there any data available regarding reliability of SATA vs. SSD ?

The most reliable SATA drives model from most reliable manufacturer
during constant up, spinning and used in RAIDs  had about or less than
3% failed in a course of over 10 years.  Most reliable manufacturer in
my book that is: Hitachi, former IBM, later HGST, the production line
now bought out by Western Digital.

I doubt there is same longevity statistics for SSDs. Also: hard drives
have theoretically infinite number of writes into the same area, whereas
SSDs have finite number of write operations into a given cell. In view
if this difference any comparison can be argued as unfair.

I'm sure, people who have large number of SSDs for long time will add
their observations. I was happy with Samsung 2.5 inch SATA SSDs so far.

Valeri