[CentOS] Disk choice for workstation ?

Sun Dec 27 00:47:21 UTC 2020
Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer at gmail.com>

On 12/26/20 12:20 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Any advice from the hardware gurus on this list?

I think your request lacks at least one critical consideration: What is
the cost of down time?

You've got a RAID1 setup now, so I have to assume that you've decided at
some point in the past that the down time you'd incur replacing a disk
when one fails is great enough to buy a second disk.  SSDs aren't immune
to failure.  Right now, I'm operating on a degraded RAID1 volume while I
wait for an RMA for a SAMSUNG 860 QVO that I installed just over one
year ago.  For me, the cost of the outage justified the redundant
storage device.  It was expensive, but it's a cost that paid off this year.