[CentOS] [External] Re: Installing a single rpm package from desktop/browser on CentOS 7

Mon Feb 24 13:47:06 UTC 2020
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 21/02/2020 15:51, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com> wrote:
>
>> And, yeah, I know about rpm command line and yum and all, but shouldn't
>> there be a "more user-friendly" way?
> The command line is your friend.

In many case, but in the situations I'm talking about here is really a
lot more cumbersome to use. To use the command line to install a a
package from a website, I have to

 1. Right-click
 2. Select Save Link As
 3. Enter filename/directory
 4. Open a terminal
 5. Remember where I put the bloody file
 6. Run yum to actually install it.

Compare that to

 1. Click on the link
 2. Hey, there's no step 2.

The 2nd variant is something that's was working for about 15 years, but
I guess that was before someone decided to make the system "user
friendly"...

- Toralf