[CentOS] UEFI on CentOS 8.1

Sun Feb 2 12:12:42 UTC 2020
Jyrki Tikka <jyrki.tikka at iki.fi>

On Fri, 2020-01-31 at 08:05 -0500, Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 04:51:49PM -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> > This package is installed. Yes I am talking about installing a
> > CentOS 8guest on a centos 8 machine with UEFI.The dvd.iso is on the
> > host, which I point to. Nothing in the define newwizard mentions
> > UEFI.
>
> I believe in the virt-manager interface you need to set the Chipset
> toQ35 and Firmware to the UEFI firmware.  I'm not sure how to do it
> withcockpit, since I've never used that.

The Cockpit interface that is eventually planned to replace the good
old virt-manager is still in its infancy and lacks many essential
features. Since I currently have no CentOS 8 host machine available for
testing, I tried installing and UEFI guest machine on Fedora 30. On
CentOS 7 only the old i440FX chipset is available and that does not
work with UEFI firmware even though it might be available. I believe
the on CentOS 8 the more modern Q35 chipset is available and that
should enable UEFI clients to be installed.

The Cockpit interface might not allow the Q35 chipset nor the UEFI
firmware to be selected but virt-manager, if CentOS 8 has a
sufficiently recent version, should do the trick.

This might provide some useful information (although it's for Fedora):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_UEFI_with_QEMU id="-x-evo-selection-start-marker">

<(*) Jyrki