[CentOS] ntfs support

Sat Feb 1 14:43:55 UTC 2020
Richmond <dnomhcir at gmx.com>

Richmond wrote:
> John Pierce wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 1:31 AM wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>>
>>> Definitely, ntfs-3g is from the EPEL repo:
>>> # yum info ntfs-3g
>>> Installed Packages
>>> Name        : ntfs-3g
>>> Arch        : x86_64
>> but is it available in x86 32 bit ?
>>
>> me, I've never trusted ntfs on linux, and would rather have a windows
>> machine mount and serve it over SMB or whatever.
>>

> I did not seem to have the repo in /etc/repo.d, so I did this:
>
> wget https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
> yum install epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm
> yum install --enablerepo=epel ntfs-3g
>
> I got a rather long error message which ended with this:
>
> Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: epel/i386. Please verify its
> path and try again
>
> I think I should try to find the source and compile.

OK I have cheated and hacked and all sort, but got it installed from
version 6 repo because it seems version 7 i686 doesn't exist.

yum info ntfs-3g
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
 * base: mirrors.coreix.net
 * extras: mirrors.coreix.net
 * updates: mirrors.coreix.net
Available Packages
Name        : ntfs-3g
Arch        : i686
Epoch       : 2
Version     : 2017.3.23
Release     : 11.el6
Size        : 273 k
Repo        : epel
Summary     : Linux NTFS userspace driver
URL         : http://www.ntfs-3g.org/
Licence     : GPLv2+
Description : NTFS-3G is a stable, open source, GPL licensed, POSIX,
read/write NTFS
            : driver for Linux and many other operating systems. It
provides safe
            : handling of the Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows
2000, Windows
            : Vista, Windows Server 2008 and Windows 7 NTFS file
systems. NTFS-3G can
            : create, remove, rename, move files, directories, hard
links, and streams;
            : it can read and write normal and transparently compressed
files, including
            : streams and sparse files; it can handle special files like
symbolic links,
            : devices, and FIFOs, ACL, extended attributes; moreover it
provides full
            : file access right and ownership support.

Unfortunately I am not able to mount the partition:

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'

Also I was unable to compile the source due to errors.