[CentOS] CentOS 7 : network interface renamed from eth0 to eth1 after reboot

Mon Feb 10 22:17:45 UTC 2020
Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com>

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 03:12:11PM +0000, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> There may be ways to force NIC naming, I've done so but only on Ubuntu so you'll need to do the research if it's important to you.  Things to look for based on my experience: 70-persistent-net.rules, net.ifnames=0, biosdevname=0.

I cheated; I use NIC teaming, and before starting networking, run a
script that iterates over NICs, picking up their current device
names, and scripting the if-cfg* files.

I had to do this when a few years ago, Dell was getting clever about
renaming NICs aggressively, and nothing could trust 'eth0' anymore.
Now, I always get a 'bond0'.

(Oh, and I also disabled NetworkManager, because, like systemd, it
tries to be Too Clever for it's own good.)

Overkill for most, I admit, but it make my installation media much
more portable.

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large