[CentOS] NetworkManager on servers

Tue Feb 11 13:11:44 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 06:11:04AM +0100, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
> Thanks for confirming that NetworkManager is not the solution for
> everyone. To me it seems that NetworkManager was developed by laptop users
> for laptop users and that's why it is what it is today. Useful for
> laptops/desktops and simple server setups.

I've mentioned on this list countless times about how NetworkManager
is actually pretty good for a general server.  Automatic link
detection and activation/deactivation, a dispatch service on link
activation/deactivation, support for bringing up secondary interfaces
after a primary goes up, a dbus interface for automation, etc.

> Unfortunately, instead of fixing/refactoring the whole bash networking
> script mess, another new project was started instead, called
> systemd-networkd :-)

Actually, I'm sad that RHEL/CentOS 8 doesn't support
systemd-networkd.  It's really nice, especially for really pared down
systems that don't need a lot of extra services like NetworkManager.
But I understand that Red Hat needs to focus its support efforts.