[CentOS] NetworkManager on servers

Thu Feb 13 17:01:49 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-13 10:50, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 11:40, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 11/02/2020 à 14:11, Jonathan Billings a écrit :
>>> I've mentioned on this list countless times about how NetworkManager
>>> is actually pretty good for a general server.  Automatic link
>>> detection and activation/deactivation, a dispatch service on link
>>> activation/deactivation, support for bringing up secondary interfaces
>>> after a primary goes up, a dbus interface for automation, etc.
>>
>> I just prepared myself to catch up and learn more about NetworkManager. So
>> opened my big fat "Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook 5th
>> edition",
>> with a text file open on the computer to take extensive notes...
>>
>> ... only to find out that there is only half a page on NetworkManager in
>> this
>> book. Allow me to quote it:
>>
>> "NetworkManager is primarily of use on laptops, since their network
>> enviromment
>> may change frequently. For servers and desktop systems, NetworkManager
>> isn't
>> necessary and may in fact complicate administration. In these
>> environments, it
>> should be ignored or configured out."
>>

> The book was published in 2017 which means it was written in late 2016. As
> much as I love that series of books (I have read them from 1st edition), I
> do not expect that its comments on parts of Linux in the 3rd edition would
> be useful now.
>
> In the end, the problem is that NetworkManager, FirewallD, and other
> 'automatic' helpers are 'part' of the OS.. and while it was easy to tear
> them out in earlier versions.. as time goes on it is not.

I like the way you called the fact that these "automatic" things are
part of OS: the PROBLEM (in case of servers).

Every time I see these discussions on Linux lists, I tell myself how
happy I am after fleeing servers to different OS (huh, I'll break my
plea to not mention it: FreeBSD).

Valeri

> For a car analogy, it was much easier to convert any 1970 car from
> automatic back to manual as many parts were left over. Now in this era, you
> can do so if you pick the right car but for a lot of them it is not going
> to be easy in any form. I see the same trends in computer OS's with certain
> tools which were easy to pull out now requiring you to build the whole os
> from scratch as the part is assumed to be in so many other areas.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247