[CentOS] anyone know of a list or wiki for GWC?

Thu Feb 20 17:06:52 UTC 2020
Bill Gee <bgee at campercaver.net>

On Thursday, February 20, 2020 10:54:02 AM CST Fred Smith wrote:
> Hi!
>
> totally OT...
>
> Hoping there is a mailing list or wiki (or other help forum)
> for GWC, but haven't found one yet.
>
> I'm working on converting a bunch of my LPs to CDs, and am using
> GWC (Gnome Wave Cleaner, or GTK Wave Cleaner) to clean up the noise.
> It works great, but I can't figure out how to deal with certain types
> of pressing flaws that create a thump every time around.
>
> Anyone know of such a resource?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

I tried to respond directly to Fred, but got bounced.  Hence replying to the list even though, as Fred notes, this is WAY off topic.

Wow, does that still exist?  I gave up on it YEARS ago.  Audacity is far better at removing clicks and pops, splitting into tracks and exporting to FLAC.  It also does a great job removing tape hiss.

As for removing thumps - No way I know of to do that.  Audacity might be able to reduce the thump by using a high-pass filter set to roll off at 30 or 40 hz, but I don't think it can be taken completely out.

One of the really annoying things I remember about GWC was how it reacted to music featuring a bass trombone.  The entire passage was detected as several million little clicks.  When GWC got done, it sounded like the musician was playing through a fan.  Totally unlistenable.  Audacity's click filter can be adjusted to not do that.

--

Bill Gee