[CentOS] OwnCloud vs NextCloud

Sun Feb 23 03:38:11 UTC 2020

> On Feb 22, 2020, at 9:14 PM, H <agents at meddatainc.com> wrote:
>
> On February 22, 2020 9:12:17 PM EST, John Pierce <jhn.pierce at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OwnCloud came first, but IIRC, when the business managers took it
>> partially
>> commercial, the original developer split and forked it to make
>> NextCloud as
>> he didn't like the OwnCloud policies [1]
>>

>> [1]
>> https://karlitschek.de/2016/04/big-changes-i-am-leaving-owncloud-inc-today/
>
> I know, are you therefore preferring NextCloud?

I run owncloud for quite some time. I am about to switch to nextcloud, decision was made some time ago, this is just lower priority. In addition to what other people mentioned, nextcloud had latest free client applications for mobile devices. Owncloud was $0.99 for each mobile device. You can find really old version free for android. Not that the cost stops me: I was really happy to pay when I started using owncloud, so grateful to them I was for their existence. However, I run my android de-googled, so applications come not from the google app store. Hence, it will be hassle with paid applications.

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago