[CentOS] OwnCloud vs NextCloud

Mon Feb 24 09:16:25 UTC 2020
LAHAYE Olivier <olivier.lahaye at cea.fr>

Hi,

I've built my owncloud 17 rpm for centos-7, but I didn't published it because it cannot upgrade the v10.
To Upgrade I did:
Build by hand all intermediate versions and installed them in /usr (ugly I know), overwriting the v10 rpm files and did all upgrade processes until v16.
Then. I did rpm -Uvh the v17 and ran the upgrade process.
This was the only quick and dirty way to upgrade to recent version while keeping things in rpm database.

Nextcloud has a ticket to enable the ability to upgrade from multiple major versions. Once this is available I'm sure that we'll see an up to date version of nextcloud in EPEL.

For now, you need to hack.

My work was based on this:
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/scren/nextcloud/builds/

My source RPM: http://olivier.lahaye1.free.fr/SRPMS/nextcloud-17.0.2-1.el7.src.rpm
You can build it using rpmbuild --rebuild nextcloud-17.0.2-1.el7.src.rpm
Keep in mind that you have to upgrade manually in /usr all previous major version up to v16 and do all the database update before upgrading to the generated rpms. (use the highest release for each major release)

OF course, if it's a new install, it should work out of the box.

I didn't build the v18 as it was v18.0.0.0.0 by the time I worked on it and I wanted a somehow stable version.

My 2 cents.

Olivier.