[CentOS] Encrypted container on CentOS VPS

Mon Feb 24 22:01:44 UTC 2020
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

What is the use-case here?
Are you concerned that the host may change the data or just read it?
Would re-creating the file anew for each use be practical?
What about using the file in an encrypted form?
I'm thinking of the case of records on people.
Separate "cyphers" for first names, last names and other names
would go a long way toward hiding whatever needs to be hidden.

Keeping the host from reading the data might not be a solvable problem.
Keeping the host from quietly changing the data might be expensive.
If all else fails you might keep copies of the
data on separate hosts and compare their md5sums.
I expect that doing it on your own host has already been deemed a failure.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards