[CentOS] KVM Random Reboots AMD EPYC Server

Wed Jan 1 18:02:48 UTC 2020
Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises <eperez at quadrianweb.com>

I had issues with Supermicro and EPYC in the past year and it was isolated
to a faulty 16GB ECC RAM module and the error was just showing in the log
of the super micro web-based BMC and nowhere else. The fault was neither
Supermicro nor AMD. The brand of the ECC module was Samsung.it failed after
1 year of use. the bad batch I assume because the other 25 pieces of ECC
RAM from Samsung that we use in the other servers have no issue.

The behavior was that randomly, the server suddenly rebooted with no
message at all at Centos level.

I realize that the BMC error log is far (very very far) from perfect but
perhaps the error is in a strange message lying there.

Hope this helps