[CentOS] CentOS 7 as a Fibre Channel SAN Target

Sat Jan 4 10:20:14 UTC 2020
Steffan Cline <steffan at hldns.com>

In waiting, I tried CentOS 8 which was an even bigger bust. I wiped that clean and tried again with Fedora 31. Same darn error "Could not create Target in configFS".

Anyone??

Thank you,
Steffan Cline
steffan at hldns.com
602-793-0014

On 1/2/20, 2:00 AM, "CentOS on behalf of Steffan Cline via CentOS" <centos-bounces at centos.org on behalf of centos at centos.org> wrote:

    It took me some time to come back full circle to this. I've worked quite a bit on this with little success so far. It seems like it's been done but on some of the forums and Github, there are no responses yet. This is essentially a cross post from a seemingly dead list. Hopefully someone here will have some suggestions.

    I've googled this particular issue and not really finding any good results on how to resolve it.

    I installed targetcli via yum on CentOS 7 and this is the version in the repo:
    # targetcli
    targetcli shell version 2.1.fb49
    Copyright 2011-2013 by Datera, Inc and others.
    For help on commands, type 'help'.

    I downloaded the .zip of the targetcli-fb version and tried it too from the scripts folder and same results.

    Python:
    # python --version
    Python 2.7.5

    Libs:
    Installed Packages
    python-configshell.noarch 1:1.1.fb25-1.el7 @base
    python-rtslib.noarch 2.1.fb69-3.el7 @base
    python-rtslib-doc.noarch 2.1.fb69-3.el7 @base

    The error comes up when using create.
    /> /qla2xxx create naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Could not create Target in configFS

    Below is the info on my FC
    /> qla2xxx/ info
    Fabric module name: qla2xxx
    ConfigFS path: /sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx
    Allowed WWN types: naa
    Allowed WWNs list: naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Fabric module features: acls
    Corresponding kernel module: tcm_qla2xxx

    I have attached the log but don't see anything that really stands out. log.txt

    I checked per the link http://www.linux-iscsi.org/wiki/Fibre_Channel#Enable_target_mode to ensure that I have initiator mode disabled

    # cat /sys/module/qla2xxx/parameters/qlini_mode
    disabled

    The kernel modules are loaded.
    # lsmod | grep qla2xxx
    tcm_qla2xxx 32768 1
    target_core_mod 335872 4 tcm_qla2xxx,iscsi_target_mod
    qla2xxx 634880 1 tcm_qla2xxx
    scsi_transport_fc 65536 3 bfa,qla2xxx,tcm_qla2xxx

    configfs is mounted:
    # cat /proc/mounts | grep configfs
    configfs /sys/kernel/config configfs rw,relatime 0 0

    In the kernel config:
    CONFIG_CONFIGFS_FS=y

    Kernel:
    4.4.207-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

    Should I be able to create a directory in /sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxxx?
    # mkdir naa.10008c7cffc7ef01
    mkdir: cannot create directory ‘naa.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx’: Invalid argument

    I did notice that when I rebooted, there was no qla2xxx folder in /sys/kernel/config/target/ but after trying to use targetcli, it did make one so I'm not sure what else would cause it to fail.

    Suggestions?

    Thank you,
    Steffan Cline
    steffan at hldns.com