[CentOS] copying files to fill flash drives

Fri Jan 10 16:48:24 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 1/10/20 2:33 AM, Frank Cox wrote:
> Back in the days of DOS I had a program that I obtained from somewhere
> called FILL. ... Before I re-invent the wheel here, does someone
> already have a way to do this with Linux so you can write a series of
> flash drives and fill them with the contents of a specified directory
> without modifying the files that get written?
This would, in my opinion, be a useful thing.  I found several simple
knapsack implementations; one of which is at
https://github.com/vaeth/knapsack

What would be very useful is to dynamically load the knapsack based on
size of whatever USB drive you just plugged in; so if you have say 4
32GB drives, a 128GB drive, and a 64GB drive, the filling would be
efficient no matter which order you plug the drives in. There have been
several times I have wished for such a utility; I had one for the old
TRS-80 LS-DOS 6 when I ran a TRS-80 Model 4 with a 20MB hard drive to
copy to floppies, even when the floppies might have a different amount
of free space.

I've done the multi-floppy tar thing back in Xenix days, and that was
painful to say the least.