[CentOS] [semi-OT] C7 Possible bug but I can't determine what tool has the problem

Wed Jan 15 16:51:54 UTC 2020
Jon Pruente <jpruente at riskanalytics.com>

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 10:18 AM Alessandro Baggi <
alessandro.baggi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I made several test to see what happens and noticed that removing -S
> (--sparse) from rsync command problem does not occour.
> In another test, thinking about a problem on 0ed file, I tried file
> generation using /dev/urandom then /dev/zero and running rsync -avS the
> problem is disappeared.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sparse_file#Creating_sparse_files

In short, rsync is being told to create sparse files with the -S flag, so
it does.  Could you share what you did with the urandom then zero test you
mentioned? I'm curious what exact sequence of commands you used.