[CentOS] yum update / kernal update failed - remove or repair

Fri Jan 24 12:23:17 UTC 2020
Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>

On Thursday 23 January 2020 15:22:32 Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:

> > Before you try the update again, you'll have to fix the reason for the
> > failure - add memory, or at least add a swap file.
> >
> > You could check with
> > rpm -qa --last | head -20
> > which the latest packages are that were installed.
> >
> > If the rpm database is corrupted, rebuild it with
> > rpm --rebuilddb
> >
> > You can reinstall packages that may not be completely installed, using
> > rpm --reinstall PACKAGE_FILE
>
> Well, there may be more to check and above steps may not help.
>
> Do you have duplicates in rpmdb? Which one of the duplicates are already
> on the filesystem?

I do not believe that I have any duplicate RPM's installed, and I do not believe that the database is actually wrong. I believe that it is purely that the installs did not complete successfully.

I have managed to remove the latest kernel RPM and 'yum update kernel*' re-applied the update without errors.

I am going to go through the list of failed RPM's and to a 'rpm --reinstall' for each one in turn and hopefully they will work too.

Before doing that I will do as Kay suggested and find out why I had the memory problem in the first place.