[CentOS] C8 Question

Fri Jan 24 18:05:09 UTC 2020
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Il 24/01/20 15:44, Pete Biggs ha scritto:
>> I noticed a strange behaviour (don't know if this is the wanted
>> default). If I try ,from normal user shell, to run command like "reboot"
>> or "shutdown -h now" system will reboot/shutdown. This happens on tty
>> console, on xfce terminal and ssh session.
> I've just created a normal user on my test system and when I try to
> reboot or halt the system when logged in via ssh I get:
>
>     $ reboot
>     Failed to set wall message, ignoring: Interactive authentication required.
>     Failed to reboot system via logind: Interactive authentication required.
>     Failed to open initctl fifo: Permission denied
>     Failed to talk to init daemon.
>
> Which is correct behaviour.

Hi Pete,

Yes this is what I expect, but I'm trying to understand why on a fresh
installation on a VM, this happens on ssh without user logged in or from
console as normal user? I tried the installation several times and with
several ISO but nothing changed. On every fresh installation I have not
installed other packages and not enabled networking.

If you have the time, please can you try to install from 8.1 iso using
minimal installation and try again?

I know that you struggle to believe my problem but I don't know how to
prove this.

> However, a user logged in at the machine as GUI console session has
> always been able to halt or reboot the system.

This does not happen only on my xfce system but on system on VM without
a GUI.

>> Why on CentOS a normal user can shutdown the system without root
>> privileges? I think that on any server normal user should not be able to
>> shutdown the system without privileges.
>>
> If it's a desktop machine, then the console logged in user should be
> able to shutdown the machine - at least then it means they don't resort
> to pulling the plug.

> Presumably you don't allow users physically near
> a server?

No, but this happen also in ssh session.

Thank you for your help.