[CentOS] Centos 7 Lyx - installing templates and class files

Sat Jan 25 18:35:22 UTC 2020
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 17:02:20 -0500
Noam Bernstein via CentOS wrote:

> Can you use
> yum whatprovides FILE_GLOB
> to figure out which package provides the particular class files that seem
> relevant?

It appears that most of the class files don't exist in the form of a rpm.  In fact, some of this stuff doesn't seem to be downloadable as a .cls file (which is the format that lyx expects to see).  Somehow (that I haven't yet read up on) you are to convert a tex file that you download from a random ftp site into a cls file and that goes into a directory that lyx can see.

Obviously, I have some more reading and figuring out to do here. A lot of this stuff was apparently never packaged for easy installation on a rpm-based system.

I still think lyx is a very cool program.  I don't use very often but every time I do I always think that I should be using it for more.