[CentOS] CentOS 8.1 and NVIDIA support

Wed Jan 29 11:05:21 UTC 2020
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

On Sat, 2020-02-01 at 19:11 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Does CentOS 8.1 support OLDER generate NVIDIA ?
> Like NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [GeForce GT 520M]
>
> I'm looking for hardware acceleration H264 type support.

As far as I know CentOS (i.e. RHEL) never supported accelerated nVidia
drivers because they are all closed source.  Non-accelerated nVidia
drivers are provided by the nouveau packages.

The accelerated proprietary drivers are available from rpmfusion, but
with old cards you have to be careful which version you install as
nVidia are very quick to drop "old" cards from their most recent
drivers. There are packages that integrate with yum/dnf to make the
version selection automatic.

You can, of course, download the drivers directly from nVidia, but you
then have to manage the kernel modules yourself when the kernel is
updated.

P.