[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 8 (1911)

Thu Jan 30 21:32:14 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 1/23/20 5:23 AM, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:

>>> I think that the e-mail subject of the announcement could be a bit
>>> misleading.
>>> Also for 7.x the subject for the latest one, posted by Johnny, was:
>>>
>>> "Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1908) on the x86_64  Architecture"
>>>
>>> Actually at CentOS 7 time, after some discussions, developers accepted
>>> have both "numbers" inside release information.
>>>
>>> For example on running systems you have
>>>
>>> - for 7.x
>>> On 7.6:
>>> # cat /etc/centos-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
>>>
>>> # lsb_release -r
>>> Release: 7.6.1810
>>>
>>> On 7.7:
>>> # cat /etc/centos-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core)
>>>
>>> # lsb_release -r
>>> Release: 7.7.1908
>>>
>>> And this has been maintained in 8.x too:
>>> On 8.0:
>>> # cat /etc/centos-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 8.0.1905 (Core)
>>>
>>> # lsb_release -r
>>> Release: 8.0.1905
>>>
>>> On the just released 8.1
>>> # cat /etc/centos-release
>>> CentOS Linux release 8.1.1911 (Core)
>>>
>>> # lsb_release -r
>>> Release: 8.1.1911
>>>
>>> This is acceptable in my opinion from a final user point of view
>>>
>>> I'm not sure but possibly the origin of the loooong discussion thread
>>> was
>>> this one from Karanbir, if interested:
>>> https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2014-June/010444.html
>>

>> Let's just say this:
>>
>> We are ALWAYS going to officially call the releases:
>>
>> 'CentOS 8 (1911)' and 'CentOS 7 (1908)'
>>
>> We are going to do it regardless of who does like it or who does not
>> like it (myself included).
>>
>> It is just the way it is and how it will be.  It has been this way since
>> the original CentOS 7 release and it is not ever changing.
>
> Never, until the next change of course :-)
>
> Wasn't it like that because RHEL maintains multiple .X levels while CentOS
> always only represents the current, newest level. So omitting the .X level
> was intended to prevent such confusion we actually see.

That is indeed the reasoning .. you can not stabilize on CentOS-8.0 and
stay there after 8.1 RHEL source code is released .. because, 8.0 (at
that point) is missing security updates that were included in 8.1.  If
you add those security updates, now you are running the code that 8.1 is
based on.

So, the 8.0 and 8.1 and 8.2 releases are nothing more than a single
point in time of the overall CentOS Linux 8 release.  The CentOS mirrors
only test one version of CentOS-8 .. and that is the current version
with all the updates installed.

Red Hat does indeed provide to people extended support for point
releases for RHEL .. they provide security updates for 8.0 for a period
of time after 8.1 is released.  CentOS does not do that.  We never have.