[CentOS] (SOLVED) YUM (DNF) Possible Confusion Centos 8

Fri Jan 31 03:54:17 UTC 2020
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> On 1/24/20 8:02 AM, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
>>> <lots snipped>

>>> I have a free subscription, but still can't get to the solution page.
>>> Oh
>>> well.
>>
>> I've never really understood how hiding those solutions behind a wall is
>> good thing in/for the OpenSource world. Looks like I'm not alone :-)
>>

> A good thing is the ability for someone to be able to pay people actual
> money so that CentOS can actually exist.  There is no CentOS (or
> Scientfic Linux or Oracle Linux) without RHEL.  There is no RHEL if Red
> Hat can not make money.

I can not agree here. To make this clear, I'm not from the "everything
must be free to consume" crowd just in case it sounds so. But when we talk
about money and RedHat my POV is this:

1) RedHat has made quite a lot of money through me in the past decades! Of
course not from my personal purchases but from those companies who bought
from RedHat because I was behind the projects.

2) RedHat includes the work of thousands of people around the world
without paying a cent to most of them. One of them is me, work from me can
be found in RedHat products and it's from my personal work as well as work
I did for companies who agreed to keep this work free for everybody as
well.

I never asked a cent from RedHat and don't expect it. I only don't like
how they've built walls to prevent me from having access to some useful
tips and tricks which can make my life easier.

That's why I don't like these walls even if you can climb them for free
somehow if you learn how.

Regards,
Simon