[CentOS] (SOLVED) YUM (DNF) Possible Confusion Centos 8

Fri Jan 31 16:23:27 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 1/30/20 10:08 PM, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:

>>> I've never really understood how hiding those solutions behind a wall is
>>> good thing in/for the OpenSource world. Looks like I'm not alone :-)
>>>

>> A good thing is the ability for someone to be able to pay people actual
>> money so that CentOS can actually exist.  There is no CentOS (or
>> Scientfic Linux or Oracle Linux) without RHEL.  There is no RHEL if Red
>> Hat can not make money.
>
> And there is no RedHat if thousands of developers would not allow RedHat
> to consume their work for free. Creators of free software didn't build
> walls around their projects. Do you thinks it's a good thing that RedHat
> does exactly this with their tip and tricks (KB)? I believe it can damage
> RedHat because a lot of people at the source of RedHats products don't
> appreciate it at all.

But you are not talking about access to source code here .. you are
taking about access to a paid support website for customers for
knowledge base articles.

The Source Code .. heck, even Binary rpms, exist and were installed in
this case .. completely for free from CentOS Linux.  What is being
complained about is no access to documentation for paid customers to fix
issues with RHEL .. not to fix something in CentOS Linux.  This list and
wiki.centos.org and forums.centos.org are where the CentOS Community can
develop open source, free documentation for these issues for CentOS Linux.

Red Hat certainly understands open source .. as shown by this:

https://www.infoworld.com/article/3253948/who-really-contributes-to-open-source.html
  (github commits)

and this:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Git-Stats-EOY2019
  (kernel commits)

The same holds true for any number of important projects .. gcc, etc.

I love open source .. that is why I have been doing CentOS binaries
since 2004.  I totally believe in open source.  It has. in fact, taken
over the world of Information Technology much to my delight.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes