[CentOS] CentOS 8 on USB disk

Fri Jan 31 20:31:35 UTC 2020
Chris Schanzle <chris.schanzle at nist.gov>

On 1/29/20 12:34 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Sorry for the noise... My machine must not be working. I copied the iso to
>
> another machine, did the same command as always and worked just fine. not
>
> sure what is up with my normal box. Has always worked before.

[problem with my subscription, sorry if this is a duplicate.]

Just a suggestion - look for "large" files in /dev/ on your old machine.  An incorrect output file name will leave a big file there, rather than write to the device you intended. Something like:

find /dev -size +1G -ls

I use the dd option 'oflag=direct' to do direct I/O on the output.  Eliminates the need for sync.  Coupled with 'status=progress' you can get a real indication of how fast your storage device is.

dd bs=4M oflag=direct status=progress if=some.iso of=/dev/sdX