[CentOS] USB-serial adapter for CentOS 7

Wed Jul 8 16:11:55 UTC 2020
mailist <mailist at toolz.com>

On 2020-07-08 11:28, Tate Belden wrote:
> I've several USB <-> RS-232 dongles around. As well as a few embedded
> devices. They all "Just Work (tm)" on Redhat, CentOS, Fedora, Debian,
> Raspian and Kali.

Even if you did have an RS232 port on the box, the serial drivers for
CentOS 7 have
never worked correctly.  I had an application using RS232 that worked
perfectly
under CentOS 6, and then worked intermittently under CentOS 7, and
failed miserably
on CentOS 8.  The handwriting on the RedHat wall says, "nobody uses
RS232 anymore!"
I moved the app to a Raspberry Pi 3B+, using the USB serial adapters,
and it works
perfectly again.

Todd Merriman
Software Toolz, Inc.