[CentOS] [OT] What is the max hardlink number for a single file on XFS

Fri Jul 17 07:42:26 UTC 2020
Alessandro Baggi <alessandro.baggi at gmail.com>

Hi list,

I have a little script that uses rysnc and hardlink to perform backups.

Some days ago a friend told me that rsync could crash if the hardlink
limit is reached. I know (and tested) that for ext4 the max number of
hardlink for a single file is 65000 but I can't get a limit on XFS.

Due to the fact that I can't get good resources from google search, I
tried to reach its limit with a script creating a regular file and
create in another dir many hardlinks.
Currently I have:

-rw-r--r-- 8730476 root root 12 16 lug 12.13 hlink/1

My scripts is trying to reach 20 mln of hardlink so need time to finish
but 8730476 of hardlinks is an huge number.

Someone know this limit?

Thank you in advance.