[CentOS] Opinions on storage options such as gateways or like-systems

Thu Jul 23 23:49:02 UTC 2020
Erick Perez - Quadrian Enterprises <eperez at quadrianweb.com>

Hi all,

I'm looking for some comments regarding options related to storage.
We have a number of Apache web servers (24) running on (24) Centos 7.x
systems, fully patched running a sort of MySQL, Java and PHP applications.
All as virtual machines on top of Vmware ESX.

When the Apache/MySQL  R/W data, Data storage is provided as a single NFS
volume mounted across the VMs.
That storage space is provided by an aging (and expensive) netapp unit.

What we are looking for are ideas of scaling our storage. Shall we continue
to add disks to the netapp so we can increase the NFS volume size?
Shall we do Gluster? CEPH?
Is there something like a storage gateway for Centos? where I can
centralize several storage types and present them in a centralized way?
NFS, SCSI, FC ?

No Cloud solutions. As we cannot go cloud (business rules). All solutions
have to be local.

Not sure if it makes sense.
--

Erick Perez