[CentOS] Centos 8: removing font rpms leaves directory and .uuid file behind

Fri Jul 31 04:07:40 UTC 2020
Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net>

remove an unneeded font that was installed during the initial setup:

dnf remove thai-scalable

ls -a /usr/share/fonts/thai-scalable

Not only did the directory survive the removal, but we still have a hidden file named .uuid in the directory (which is probably why it didn't get removed).

The directory and .uuid file is an orphan though, since rpm --whatprovides tells me that no rpm owns it.  Again, not surprising since we removed the rpm.

This happens when removing any of the default fonts like smc, any of the sil-* fonts and so forth.  They all leave their directory under /usr/share/fonts and a .uuid file behind.

--
Can we uninstall 2020 and install it again? This one has a virus.