[CentOS] user names

Pete Biggs

pete at biggs.org.uk
Mon Jun 1 17:32:43 UTC 2020

On Mon, 2020-06-01 at 13:13 -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> How can I define a local use with "@" in the name
>
> useradd "bob at myname"  gives error.
>
> I "need" to have the @ sign in the name -is that possible.   Silly reason -
> the system I am trying to send emails to the linux server has a bug. I'm
> trying to get around it.

useradd is just a program that manipulates the underlying files - so if
you really want to create a user with that name, then manually edit
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow.  However, at the risk of telling you
things you already know, the '@' is definitely not a standard character
in Unix usernames and it may, or may not, cause problems elsewhere.
(TBH, the only character which will almost certainly break things is
'/'!)

P.