[CentOS] Modifying username

Pete Biggs

pete at biggs.org.uk
Sun Jun 14 22:04:45 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-06-14 at 17:26 -0400, Jay Hart wrote:
> > On 6/14/20 1:39 PM, Jay Hart wrote:
> > > You may need to modify /etc/shadow for consistency.
> > >
> > > I don't know what to do here.  Need some guidance please.
> >
> > Run "vipw -s" and make the same change to that file's record for ABCLast.
> >

> In /etc/passwd the directory was shown in plain text.  So I just moved over in the line and
> changed /home/ABCLast to /home/ALast. Saved file, and exited.
>
> I don't see a directory name in /etc/shadow using 'vipw -s'

No, there's no directory in /etc/shadow, but the username (the first
field) will need to be changed to match with the one in /etc/passwd.
Apologies if you know this: /etc/passwd contains account information
and is world readable because lots of programs need the information in
it, the encrypted password use to be in that file (hence the name) but
it too was visible and hence available for cracking; /etc/shadow is not
world readable and holds all the "secret" password info; the only thing
linking the two databases is the username, hence that has to match in
the two files.

P.