[CentOS] halt versus shutdown

J Martin Rushton

martinrushton56 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 15 16:29:25 UTC 2020

On 15/06/2020 15:53, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 6/15/20 6:19 AM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:
>> Am 15.06.20 um 05:38 schrieb Strahil Nikolov via CentOS:
>>> Working with different Linux Distributions makes the life harder.
>>> So far I have found out that 'poweroff' & 'reboot' has the same
>>> behaviour on  Linux/Unix/BSDs.
>>>

>> Yeah, poweroff seems the appropriate command instead of halt.
>>
>> Thanks for all the "historical" input. Things make now sense :-)
>>

> Thanks for excurse in the past, whent the world made sense ;-)
>
> Valeri
>
>> --
>> Leon

Hmm.  If the disks really were "on fire", my preferred means of shutdown
was the big red button by the door as I exited, PDQ.

Actually I did once have to do this.  I was "minding the shop" at lunch
time on a sunny day.  As I looked into the machine room from the
operations office I saw a cloud of smoke arising from the floor through
one of the AC vents.  Dead stop - building alarm and get out.  It turned
out that one of the AC units had started its steam generator and the
blast was picking up dist mites, which showed up in a shaft of sunshine
looking light smoke.<insert red face icon>  Most machines were at the
far end of the room and it was only occasionally that that particular
unit came on.  The fire brigade confirmed that it was the right action,
but some of the users were less happy!

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS